I’m often asked when is the best time to start naturopathic medicines. Should you start before, during, or after traditional therapies??
While starting therapy at the time of diagnosis is ideal (as the natural medicines can reduce side effects from and increase effectiveness of traditional cancer therapies,) the MOST important thing is to start natural therapies sometime! The goal is to enhance the immune system’s fighting abilities to keep the cancer in remission as long as possible and to make the pet feel better, giving it a high quality of life.
The second MOST important thing is to work with a holistic veterinarian to make sure you are using the correct proven therapies at the dosage that is best for your pet, and to pick natural supplements that don’t interact negatively with other therapies. In our practice we use only proven natural medicines and are guided by frequent blood testing, including our cancer/inflammatory profile. Your pet’s life is too important to guess and go it alone….and please don’t buy something on the internet just because a testimonial swears the product cures cancer..a definite no-no.
Breast Choices for the Best Chances: Your Breasts, Your Life, and How YOU Can Win The Battle!
With Easter upon us, I wanted to take a moment to remind all of you about the dangers of one of my favorite plants, the lily.
Most pet owners are unaware that ingestion of any part of a lily can be fatal for cats. This is of particular concern given the popularity of lilies in bouquets and gardens. Lilies in the “true lily” and daylily families such as Easter lilies, stargazer lilies, tiger lilies, Asiatic lilies, and Oriental lilies are highly toxic to cats. Ingestion of just one petal, leaf, or even the pollen, can cause kidney failure in less than three days.
The most dangerous lilies for cats are those in the genus Lilium (the “true lilies”) and Hemerocallis (daylilies). Common examples include the Easter lily (L. longiflorum), stargazer lily (L. orientalis), tiger lily (L. tigrinum or L. lancifolium), Asiatic hybrid lily (many varieties of Lilium spp.), wood lily (L. philadelphicum), and daylily (Hemerocallis spp.). The toxin, which only effects cats, has not been identified, but exposure to any part of the plant, including leaves, flowers, pollen, or even the water from the vase may result in acute kidney and rarely, pancreatitis. Lily poisoning is a true medical emergencie requiring immediate veterinary care. Early decontamination, aggressive intravenous fluid therapy, renal function tests, and supportive care greatly improve the cat’s prognosis. A delay of treatment of more than 18 hours after ingestion generally results in irreversible kidney failure. Due to the high risk of fatality, the Pet Poison Hotline recommends these flowers never be brought into homes with cats.
If a cat consumes any part of a lily plant, the pet owner should bring the cat and the plant to a veterinarian as soon as possible.Treatment for lily poisoning starts at around $1000 but easily escalates depending upon the degree of kidney failure and the pet’s response or lack of response. The best approach-while we love lillies DON’T bring them into a house of cats!